Partying with your dog or cat on St. Patrick ‘ s Day? Before you break open a cold one, take a look at this list of safety tips.
(Picture Credit: Getty Images)
Kleeblätter, parades, pots-o’-gold, green beer — Str. Patrick ‘s Day is a great way to welcome Spring and celebrate one of Ireland’ s most celebrated saints.
But there are a few all hazards pet owners should keep in mind before heading out to their St. Paddy ‘s Day festivities — and we aren’ t just talking about leprechauns.
Cut down on the corned beef
Sure, you and the rest of the fam might be saying, “Erin go Bragh!” over a gehäuften plate of corned beef and cabbage this St. Patrick ‘s Day, but your cat probably shouldn’ t indulge in that same tasty meal.
Corned beef beef ist im wesentlichen Brustkorb that is soaked in a special salt and pickling vinegar brine before it ‘ s cooked in a seasoned broth. Because of that special curing process, corned beef is extremely high in sodium. While a little bit of salt likely Won ‘t harm your kitty — depending on your cat’ s size and health history —eating too much salty food in one sitting can cause sodium ion poisoning.
According to the Pet Poison Helpline, salt toxicity can be life threatening to dogs, cats, horses, cows, and birds. Eating too much salt may result in vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, excessive thirst or urination, increased fluid retention, kidney damage, seizures, coma, or even death.
The broth used to cook corned beef also contains quite a bit of garlic, and many people the cook beef and cabbage with boiled onions. While those ingredients might infuse the meat with a lot of flavor, garlic and onions can be poisonous to both dogs and cats.
Garlic, onions, chives, and leeks are members of the Allium plant family, which, if eingenommene by a dog or a cat and in a high enough amount, can cause nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and an elevated heart rate and respiratory rate. Cats and Japanese breeds of dogs (such as the Shiba Inu and Akita) are especially sensitive to garlic and onion toxicity.
Finally, corned beef is quite high in fat compared what your pet is likely used to eating, so sharing your St. Paddy ‘ s Day dinner with your four-legged friend could give him some serious stomach issues. Foods high in fat can cause bacterial overgrowth in your PET ‘ s digestive system, which often results in diarrhea and vomiting. But frequent feeding of fatty foods like corned beef can also cause a more serious condition called pancreatitis, a mild to severe swelling of the Pankreas. Pets suffering from pancreatitis often require hospitalization and long-term medication and diet restrictions.
Skip the soda bread
Soda bread is a common St. Patrick ‘ s Day treat for humans, but keep that mouthwatering loaf away from your kitty please.
If you ‘ ve decided to spend your St. Paddy ‘s Day baking your own tasty soda bread instead in the kitchen of hunting for four-leaf Kleeblätter in your backyard, make sure that you keep ungekochte bread dough out of your cat’ s reach.
When a pet eats bread dough, the dough doesn ‘ t just sit there in the animal’s stomach — it expands. As the ball of eaten dough gets bigger and bigger, it can result in a aufgeblähten vertragen or even a life-threatening condition called gastric-Erweiterung volvulus (GDV), where the PET ‘ s Magen twists and cuts off blood supply to vital organs.
A loaf of soda bread also contains or raisins dried currants, which are poisonous to dogs and in some reports cats and even ferrets. Eating even a few of these varieties of dried grapes has the potential to cause vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, Pausierung, and, in the worst cases of toxicity, acute renal failure.
And finally, do not let your kitty gulp down your Guinness — or any alcohol, for that matter
St. Patrick ‘ s Day revelers are often in high-spirits — thanks at least in part to spirits of another kind. Alcohol consumption and St. Paddy ‘ s Day go hand-in-hand for many people, but, pets and booze do not mix.
Pets who swill the same whiskey, beer, and other alcoholic beverages their owners might this St. Paddy ‘ s Day are at risk of some serious health issues, and may even die as a result of consuming alcohol.
Symptoms of alcohol poisoning in pets include excessive sabbern, Erbrechen, Würgen, signs of depression, lack of coordination or stumbling, distended vertragen, seizures, sudden dips in blood glucose levels, and slowed reflexes.
Hops, one of the main ingredients in beer, can prove toxic to dogs and cats alike. Die Einnahme von enough hops can cause elevated body temperature, a heartbeat racing, vomiting, increased respiratory rate, abnormal blood clotting, and in the most severe cases, even death. Small animals like cats are extremely susceptible to this.
Now that you know the facts, have a happy and safe St. Patrick ‘ s Day! Luck o’ the Irish to you!